The only thing worse than being hot and sweaty in the summer is letting that heat make you a lazy bones! Don’t let summer weather get the best of you. Here are some tips that will help you stay cool and energized the rest of the season:
- Drinks lots of water. As a rule of thumb, divide your weight by two to get the number of ounces of water you should take in daily. Bonus: Squeeze in a bit of lemon or lime juice for extra flavor!
- Eat fruits with a high water content. Think watermelon, cherries, grapes, apples, peaches, and oranges. (For added refreshment, try them frozen!)
- Consume colorful veggies. Leafy greens, squash, cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, and celery are easily digested and their vitamin and mineral contents help protect your skin from the sun.
- Try adding herbs and spices to your drinks and recipes. Mint or chamomile iced teas are invigorating, while ginger and cayenne boost your body’s natural ability to cool itself.
- Keep your potassium levels up. Bananas, cantaloupe, and potatoes ward off heatstroke. Carbohydrates also prevent exhaustion caused by heat.
- Avoid fried foods, meat, alcohol, coffee, and yes…ice cream! These foods are more difficult for your body to digest, which increases your internal body temperature and makes you feel sluggish.
Summer is so fleeting, especially in Minnesota! If you’re smart about what goes into your body as the temperature rises, though, you’ll definitely get the most out of this great weather!