Summer is here and road trips are on the agenda. To prevent last-minute stops for unhealthy fast-food fare and convenience store snacks, it’s a good idea to think ahead about healthy, fun, non-messy food that’s easy to eat in the car. You’ll feel better if you arrive at your destination fueled with healthy food, not junk!
- Sandwiches: Make little mini-sandwiches to easily eat in the car. You can cut a regular sandwich into fourths or use a cookie cutter to create fun shapes. Whether you make turkey on whole grain bread or PB&J, little sandwiches will keep tummies satisfied until your trip is complete.
- Veggies (maybe dipped): Sliced veggies are great—carrot sticks, bell peppers, cucumbers, pea pods. If you think your kids won’t spill or drop a small container of dip, you could serve the veggies with spinach dip or hummus. Hummus can also be paired with pita triangles or whole grain crackers for a tasty snack.
- Snack Baggies: Before you head out the door, you can make some snack mixes and divide them into single-serving size baggies or reusable containers. Three recipes you can find at cobornsdelivers.com under the “Easy Eats” menu include “Crispix Mix Cheesy Pizza,” “Kashi Brittle,” and “Speedy Trail Mix.”
- Sweet Fruits: Think of packing fruits that aren’t too sticky or easily dropped (and then end up mashed into your car’s seats or floor). Slices of apple and pear will be good choices—just be sure to pack wipes to wash off hands afterwards. Slices of mango, chunks of melon, and grapes might work as well. You may want to check the car for dropped pieces when you arrive, just to be on the safe side.
- Bars: Cereal bars, granola bars, and even rice crispy bars (although a bit sticky) can be good options.
- Cheese: String cheese or cheese cubes on whole grain crackers are another healthy option.
- Stay hydrated: Don’t forget about drinks. Fill up reusable water bottles before you head out the door—water is the best drink for staying hydrated. You could also pack some juice boxes or a thermos with iced tea or lemonade.
Whichever snacks you choose, have fun prepping for your next road trip. Have fun and enjoy your summer getaway.