I love the holidays, mostly because of all the delicious food I get to sample. My favorite dish by far is my dad’s creamy mashed potatoes; my love for it is so profound that it regularly makes an appearance at my birthday dinner, and my dad usually prepares a separate dish for me to take home. If you’re looking for a break from the standard mashed potatoes and gravy this holiday season, these are definitely a crowd-pleaser.
Creamy Mashed Potatoes:
- 10 medium potatoes
- 6 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- 2 tsp. onion salt
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- Dash of pepper
- 2 tbs. butter
- Grated cheddar or parmesan cheese
- Dash of paprika
- Peel and quarter potatoes, boil until done and drain.
- Mash potatoes until smooth, mix in cream cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper. Beat well.
- Refrigerate at least 12 hours.
- When ready to bake, place potatoes in greased casserole dish. Dot with butter, top with cheese and paprika.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.