Twelve days and counting…not that I am wishing time away, but like many parents, this time of year is a little bittersweet for me. I am reveling in the last lazy days of summer and I appreciate the lack of “schedule” before the back to school hoopla kicks in. However, truth be told, I’m also looking forward to a little more structure to cure the end-of-the-summer boredom blues that seem to plague my children as they complain, “there’s nothing to do today!”
As I mentally switch gears I’m already beginning to plan ways to simplify the back-to-school breakfast routine. Sure, it’s a little self-serving, but for people who need their 8 hours of sleep like me, a simple, self-serve breakfast for my kids can equate to a few more precious minutes of pillow time.
So, since necessity is the mother of invention, I have come up with a great healthy breakfast cookie that my kids will happily eat and prepare for themselves, and best of all, I can make it in advance.
Give them a try!
Healthy Breakfast Cookies and Bars – Fiber, Protein and Fruit!
-2 cups bran flakes, crushed (or substitute multi-grain flakes)
-2 cups oatmeal
-2 tablespoons wheat germ
-1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
-1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
-1 cup unsweetened applesauce
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1/3 cup honey
-1 egg, beaten
-1/2 cup skim milk powder
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1/2 cup raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Crush cereal and place in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add oatmeal, wheat germ and cinnamon; set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine yogurt, applesauce, vanilla, honey, beaten egg and skim milk powder; mix well to combine.
4. Add baking soda and baking powder to the yogurt mixture, mix well.
5. Gradually add the cereal and oatmeal mixture to the yogurt mixture and stir well.
6. Add raisins and mix to combine.
7. Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the batter and roll it into a ball. Place onto a non-stick cookie sheet, or one lined with parchment, and lightly flatten.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes. Makes 24 cookies.